Sunday, March 13, 2022

"IT ENDS WITH US" by Colleen Hoover


 I felt every single possible feeling one can feel with this book. To say I  was not prepared for the emotions would be an understatement. With that being said, I would like to mention that the book contains scenes of abuse and sexual assault. If this topic is triggering for you, please do not keep reading.

Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are all my own. This review might contain spoilers. 

PLOT

Lily hasn't always had it easy, but that's never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She's come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up- she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily's life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.

Ryle is assertive, stubborn, maybe even a little arrogant. He's also sensitive ,brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily, but Ryle's complete aversion to relationships is disturbing.

As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan- her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. 

When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened. 

Some moments in the book are very light and easy to read while others are really dark and traumatic. This is something you need to prepare for mentally. As you can see from the synopsis there is no trigger warning, but the book tackles issues such as rape and domestic abuse. I wish there had been some sort of indication as to what I was getting myself into, but I couldn't put the book down nevertheless. It explores the idea that essentially love has two sides: one side is beautiful and fulfilling and the other is destructive and toxic. This was certainly the case with Lily and Ryle's relationship. The contrast was so stark at times that it felt like I was reading about two different relationships. Needless to say, sometimes  I could relate to the characters (especially Lily) and other times I was furious. How much do you take in the name of love? Where do you draw the line?

I really enjoyed that the author took the time to write from young Lily's perspective as well. It was insightful to see how her friendship with Atlas started  and also the kind of relationship she had with her parents. These relationships essentially shapes how she reacts to Ryle when things are not so great between them. For the most part I spent my time really angry at Lily ,but there was a side of me that could also relate to how she was justifying certain things. Acknowledging unsavory behavior somehow made it real.

I felt uneasy about Ryle from the moment his character was introduced. You get the feeling that there was always a storm brewing or something sinister was always bubbling just beneath the surface. He seemed lowkey manipulative  and slightly forceful. I felt like he had a bit of a superiority complex because of his job and, at times in the book, he proved me right. As the book progresses ,his better qualities do come to light , but it never quite dispels the initial weird feeling you get about Ryle.

IT ENDS WITH US is a book that no doubt will stick with me for a very long time. It forced me to confront how much I had accepted in the past and how very often I have adjusted that limit for the sake of a loved one. Ultimately it is a story about standing up for yourself and ending the vicious cycle of abuse. It left me feeling hopeful. Like, no matter what I have been through, I can always start over. 

Rating 4/5 ****

Have you read this book? I would love to hear from you! 

TILL LATER, LAUREN! 



6 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like an interesting book! I like reading too, especially books that challenge me.

Lauren Vogel said...

It really is an amazing book. You should give it a try. Thank you for reading!

Her Digital Coffee said...

Wonderful review! I’ve been hearing about this book everywhere! I will definitely be adding this to my list now. Thank you for sharing.

Lauren Vogel said...

I'm really glad you enjoyed it! Thank you so much for reading :)

Jordanne || Ofaglasgowgirl said...

Ooo, this book sounds really good. I love one that will evoke emotions in me, always makes for an interesting read. The cover also looks stunning, very eye catching. You've made me want to get a copy of It Ends With Us, especially as there is a journey to go on with the characters.

Lauren Vogel said...

I'm glad you feel that way Jordanne :) thank you so much for reading!

Life begins at...Sobriety?

That seems to be the case for me. Let me start by saying, had it not been for a near death experience, I would certainly not be writing this...