Tuesday, April 18, 2023

BOOK REVIEW: What happens now by Sophia Money-Coutts

 


"After eight years together, Lil Bailey thought she’d already found ‘the one’—that is, until he dumped her for a blonde twenty-something colleague. So she does what any self-respecting singleton would do: swipes right, puts on her best bra and finds herself on a first date with a handsome mountaineer called Max. What’s the worst that can happen?


Well it’s pretty bad actually. First Max ghosts her and then, after weeing on a stick (but mostly her hands), a few weeks later Lil discovers she’s pregnant. She’s single, thirty-one and living in a thimble-sized flat in London, it’s hardly the happily-ever-after she was looking for.

il’s ready to do the baby-thing on her own—it can’t be that hard, right? But she should probably tell Max, if she can track him down. Surely he’s not that Max, the highly eligible, headline-grabbing son of Lord and Lady Rushbrooke, currently trekking up a mountain in South Asia? Oh, maybe he wasn’t ignoring Lil after all"

Disclaimer: This review contains spoilers

I loved this book from the moment I started reading it. Apart from the main character being undeniably relatable, I loved how humorous the dialogue between the characters were. Lil is going through a horrible time having just broken up with the person she thought she was going to marry so she does what every other heartbroken, well intentioned 30something would do: she goes on a blind date. Max turns out to be nothing like she expected and she ends up getting way more than she bargained for: to put it mildly. Not long after their incredibly steamy date, Lil finds out she is pregnant and Max has gone silent.

Lillian's chaotic personality and clumsiness is very reminiscent of Bridget Jones and I related to how unprepared for life she seemed.  Even though she spends a considerable amount of time around children (she is also a teacher) nothing can convince Lil that she is ready to be a mom. Max on the other hand is put together, wealthy, sure of himself and nothing like her and yet their chemistry is of the charts. Both of their characters developed wonderfully from the beginning of the story and, to be honest, I was really rooting for them to be a couple. Even though they seem like an unlikely pair, they seem to compliment each other's personalities. I loved seeing how they navigated a very uncomfortable situation.

Another thing that I enjoyed about this book was the fact that the other characters were fully developed and played integral roles in Lil and Max's love story. Lil's friendships with Jess and Clem were both heartwarming and hysterical and it was these friendships that come to her aid in the end. I found it wonderful that the theme of friendship carried on throughout the whole book. Even the relationship with her parents touching. 

I will say the ending felt a little abrupt but I think that is just because I  wasn't ready to let go. That is my own problem honestly. I think I desperately wanted the know what happens after which is why found the ending a little sudden for me. Nevertheless, if you are looking for a chuckle inducing book to read, this is the one for you. At the end of the book, the characters have certainly matured and crept into your heart. I also appreciated just how frank Lillian was about things we often want to hide. If you are open to a bit of second-hand embarrassment: go ahead and grab this book!

This was the first time have read anything from this author because it is a book I bought on a whim. Overall. I look forward to reading Sophia's other work. This was one of these books that I can easily see becoming a television series. 
 
TILL LATER, LAUREN!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the review. Now I can't wait to get my hands on this book :)

LifewithMsMalaika 💕 said...

Oh, this definitely sounds like a good read.
I'd like to find out what happens to Lil at the end.

Unknown said...

Adding this to my reading list for cosy season!

Heather said...

I would really like to read this! Just what I need to relax!

Ntleleng said...

This sounds like such a good read.

Unknown said...

I loved reading when I was young and decided I need to start again.

Nommyzondi said...

This sounds like an awesome read

Nommyzondi said...

Sounds like an awesome read

Lorenlolly said...

Cant wait to read it❤️

Lorenlolly said...

Cant wait to read it❤️

Lorenlolly said...

Sounds great I cant wait to read it❤️

Unknown said...

This definitely sounds like a great book. Thank you for the in-depth review.

Life begins at...Sobriety?

That seems to be the case for me. Let me start by saying, had it not been for a near death experience, I would certainly not be writing this...