Monday, November 22, 2021

AWKWARD in print: Book Review

 

I've started following a lot more book bloggers over the last few months and I must admit that I have been enjoying their posts thoroughly. So much so, that I have decided to do a few book reviews of my own. I have been reading for as long as I can remember and, as you can imagine, by now I have got quite the book collection. Needless to say, I was not sure where to begin with my reviews. Do I start with new books or do I review the ones that I have enjoyed reading the most? The latter won and I figured I could always work my way up to my new books or alternate between the two. In today's post I will reviewing one of my favourite short stories AWKWARD IN PRINT by Rachel Rhodes.

PLOT...

"Hollywood megastar, Jojo Hudson has a secret. One that, if ever revealed, could destroy her reputation, her career and her engagement to billionaire, Alex Masters. Fortunately the only person who knows the truth has been absent for over six years.

Unfortunately, now he is back.

When Ace walks back into her life, threatening to reveal her scandalous secret to the world, Jojo finds herself in an impossible situation- succumb to Ace's blackmail or lose Alex?

Or, defy Ace and lose everything?

As her life enters a frenetic downward spiral, Jojo must find a way to turn the tables on her old flame, all the while fighting the same law of attraction which landed her in trouble in the first place."

Let me tell you I was pleasantly suprised by this book from start to finish. It was well written, witty and had me wanting to finish it in one sitting. The book was filled with both angst and humour which made for a really easy read. The character of Jojo was relatable and down to earth even though she is a famous movie star.

There were several elements that made me want to keep reading. I have been known to abandon books halfway if I was bored.  The friendship between Jojo and her bestie, Jude, was one of them. It seemed really genuine and honest. I loved seeing how the friendship developed over the course of the book and how they navigated some really embarrassing incidents. Although it is short story, a ton of characters are introduced but, they all fit into the narrative seamlessly. I was never confused or distracted.

The biggest shocker for me was Ace and the type of person he eventually ended up being. Without giving away too much, let's just say you wouldn't have been able to guess the ending even if you tried. At the end of each chapter I literally could not wait to dive into the next.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the book. The chapters are short and easy to keep track of and you come to genuinely be interested in the characters. I loved how quickly the story develops. Lastly, I was fascinated by the idea that no matter how famous you are, life can always humble you.


What are you currently reading?

TILL LATER, LAUREN!









2 comments:

thathappyreader said...

I enjoy books about friendships and this book sounds like a lovely read. Thanks for sharing your review.

Lauren Vogel said...

You are welcome 😊thank you for reading!

Life begins at...Sobriety?

That seems to be the case for me. Let me start by saying, had it not been for a near death experience, I would certainly not be writing this...