Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Saying NO and the price of peace.

 

Image from www.dreamstime.com

I have always been a people pleaser. I would go out of my way to make sure no one would ever accuse me of being inconsiderate. I think part of the reason I was always so accommodating no matter what was because I wanted to steer clear of conflict at all costs. But, I have come to realize something. While I was making sure everyone else was pleased, I was unhappy. And severely so. It never occurred to me that conflict was not only necessary at times but, also crucial to my inner peace and ultimately my happiness.

As a mother, putting your own needs last come effortlessly: second nature. And that is very well when it comes to your child or children, but what about everyone else? Should I really be putting everyone else’s needs before my own? There’s this myth that women should always be ready to sacrifice and I have witnessed this multiple times. We don’t always do what we want to; we do what we HAVE to. We have been fashioned to think that women should be willing and able to give easily, without any question and to any degree. And, if we don’t, we end up feeling guilt ridden.  “Identify a need or want, and you will probably find a woman willing to take responsibility for it.” (Vermeulen,S. 2011. ELLE). I say be a little selfish from time to time.  Say no to this favour or to that thing you have to do for your cousin’s friend. If it is not making you happy or making you feel even vaguely good, feel free to refuse.
It’s been a very difficult thing for me to do; saying no. People tend to treat you differently when you finally muster up the courage to say no and, as someone who suffers from depression, sudden changes in behavior towards me is very triggering. I have experienced this a ton especially when it comes to family and friends. I've noticed that the less I care about pleasing everyone, the more people have started to accuse me of being distant, unbothered or even a bad friend.   But, I can tell you it has been both liberating and eye opening at the same time. Now I am not saying you should suddenly run around saying no to everyone. You don't have to be reckless with people's feelings, just more mindful of your own. Just be aware that you do have the option to say no and to not feel any kind of shame for it. Real friends will stick around whether you are able to do things for them or not.  And the rest...well who needs the excess baggage? 
 TILL LATER, LAUREN!



6 comments:

Molly @ Transatlantic Notes said...

It can be difficult to say no to people or under certain circumstances, but it's good if we can learn how to become comfortable with it -- thanks for sharing this as I think so many of us need to work on our boundary setting sometimes!

Lauren Vogel said...

It used to make me almost physically ill to say no so it's definitely a process. We just need to be reminded that you can't pour from an empty cup every now and then. Thank you for reading Molly!

Jodie | That Happy Reader said...

Great post! It is definitely hard to say no at times not only to your children but just as much our aging parents. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Lauren Vogel said...

It's definitely the hardest saying no to the ones we love just because we don't want to disappoint them. Thank you for reading Jodie. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Manoj bhavsar said...

Great Post..

Lauren Vogel said...

Thank you very much😊

Life begins at...Sobriety?

That seems to be the case for me. Let me start by saying, had it not been for a near death experience, I would certainly not be writing this...