Saturday, August 20, 2022

LIFE: Purpose





I often wonder about my place in the world. My purpose. Growing up I genuinely thought I would do something in writing. I always had my nose in a book. I loved making lists, making up my own stories and even dreamt about what my life would be like as an author. People gifted me with books and stationary and no one would frown if I ignored everyone at a family gathering to get better acquainted with a book. It seemed to be an unspoken fact in my family that writing  (or something in the field ) would be my path.

Fast forward a few years and I went to university. I got into my first choice, but I was ill prepared. Yes, as much as books exposed my to another world, I was completely out of my depth. Nothing could have been prepared me for the sinking feeling I had in my first semester. I had trouble adjusting to the classes, my peers and the course. I decided to do a BA general degree  which was my first mistake. I had no direction. Do not get me wrong, BA general is an admirable choice, but for someone who thrived on routine, this was not the best choice. Why didn't I just do a degree in journalism you ask? Frankly, in the back of my mind, I figured this degree would expose me more to the "media'' side of things. Needless to say, university did not go as planned and I dropped out. I had my son around that same time and eventually got a job in finance. Motherhood was a dream, but I hated my job with a passion. There was absolutely no room for creativity and my brain felt stifled. For six years, I dreaded getting up in the morning. For six years my creative side wilted away. I could not deal with it anymore.

Along with Covid 19 came some much needed clarity. With life hanging in the balance, there was no time to be unhappy. Life was for living! Please note, this is not me trying to encourage you to leave your job without a solid plan. I was lucky enough to have the luxury of making that choice and I had wonderful support from my family. As it stands, I have no idea where this new journey will lead me, but I do know one thing: I am going to write as much as I can. I am going to write about life and love and everything in between. Chances are I will probably end up writing some horrible stuff and develop some sort of writer's block or imposter syndrome ,but that wont stop me. 

It's too late to turn back now!

TILL LATER, LAUREN!

18 comments:

Sibu said...

Loved reading this, you touched on a relatable topic.

Lauren Vogel said...

Thank you for reading! I'm very happy that you found my post relatable :)

Mummy Conquering Anxiety said...

Thank you for sharing this. The same happened to me. I re-evaluated my life and found I couldn't stand my job in financial services any longer. Thankfully they were making redundancies.

Good luck for your future journey.

Lauren Vogel said...

Thank you so much for your kind words and the same to you :)

Molly | Transatlantic Notes said...

I've been re-evaluating life again as I'm entering a new phase as I get older and my priorities have changed (partly due to the last couple of years which have been so incredibly tough). Thanks for exploring this here; I wish you well on your continued journey.

thathappyreader said...

Best wishes with your writing Lauren! Having to make a decision on how to spend your life making a living is daunting - and we’re expected to do it at such an early age.

Lauren Vogel said...

Thank you so much for reading! I really appreciate the kind words from you both!

Fransic Verso said...

This is interesting, I also wonder about my purpose and reason of living. Thank you for sharing this!

Lauren Vogel said...

Thank you for reading Fransic. Good luck on your journey to finding the answers :)

ReadAndReviewIt said...

This was such an interesting read! I'm so glad that you're on the right path for you now. Best of luck with your journey! x

Lauren Vogel said...

Thank you for reading. Im excited to see where this journey takes me!

Benny - The Stoic Padawan said...

Thank you, Lauren for this very familiar sounding post. Although there are many difference, We are at a similar moment in our lives. I also had the luxury to leave my job and take some time to figure things out. I never had that sense of becoming a writer until later in life. After Tourism, Teaching English and other jobs, I starting writing my ideas down. From there my blog got started and now I don't know where it will go. It is great to read you journey and see that there are others on a searching path. I hope to read more of what you're doing and things will go. Thank you for being so open and honest about your situation.

Lauren Vogel said...

This comment really made my day. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. And goodluck with your journey as well!

LifewithMsMalaika 💕 said...

Oh dear, I'm glad you are going after what your heart always wanted.

And, some of us loooove to read too so we'll definitely be here reading everything you write💕

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this mommy

Lorenlolly said...

Thank you for this. Best of luck on your journey.

Unknown said...

Very interesting read keep up the good writing hun

Cleoné Lottering said...

Thank you for this very relatable post. You will definitely make a success and push though the writers block and the difficult moments. You'll get there

Life begins at...Sobriety?

That seems to be the case for me. Let me start by saying, had it not been for a near death experience, I would certainly not be writing this...